Boy Scouts have known it since 1907: Be Prepared. “Prepared for what?” you may ask.
Anything and everything.
Have your editors create a binder that contains the following:
- school system’s and the school’s master calendars
- schedule of all athletic events (which may or may not be on the master calendar)
- teachers and their teaching assignments
- academic schedule (indicating course, room, teacher)
- students with grade designations
- coaches with contact information
- club advisers with contact information
- portrait photographer(s) contact information
- yearbook rep’s contact information
- Balfour Account Executive’s name and phone number
- tech help numbers
- The current year’s business/professional ad information
- staff members’ names addresses, phone numbers and emails
- any other essential information
Once the information binder is complete, find a convenient place to put it. It should never leave that place. Keep a note cube by the binder so staff members may write down information without moving it.
Bonus tip: Use this handy Staff Directory to build a contact list for your staff. Distribute a copy to every staff member.